10.15.2016

My Blue Eyes Can See That Black Lives Matter

First, if you just can't take it without all the PC, move on. Sometimes, you just have to keep everybody on the same page. Everybody understands "black," "white," and "red."

I am pretty sure I am as white as European mutts come in this shade of skin color. I was born blonde -- I am still blonde, but I work at that-- whatever. I have some Dutch, German, and Irish. Rumor has it that some time way back when, someone red "jumped the fence," and made me a little pink. I doubt it; I am also pretty sure most white American families carry the same rumor, "We're actually .7689378328929856th Native American."

Yep.




Having given that bit of background, I am also a woman. Go, me! (It's going to be relevant. Pay attention.)

So, let us start with "Black lives matter," the sentence. Let's walk it down a path most of us recognize. I am telling you "no woman ever deserves to be raped." Do you really believe that I am telling you men do deserve it, or that the rape of a man is irrelevant? I am not. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't matter to me what kind of man you are referring to, or what he did, make a prison-rape joke in front of me and I will gladly give you a lesson on why rape is never justifiable.

Don't. test me.
"No woman ever deserves to be raped," has an historical, current, and personal context. Women were once considered property. At one time, it wasn't illegal for a husband to beat and/or rape his wife. Rape is still a problem in this country, and it overwhelmingly remains a threat to women. I am a survivor, as statistically speaking, I was always likely to be. Do you see where we are going here? Black people were once considered property. While we generally have police officers who will never be paid or recognized as much as they should be, we do have a problem with police brutality and judicial prejudice in this country, and it overwhelmingly remains a threat to black people. There is a black guy, there with the sign or behind those bars who is a survivor, as statistically speaking, he was always likely to be.

As far as a violent Black Lives Matter Movement, let me remind you of our "savage" red brothers and sisters. At one time, newspapers printed false stories of those "savages" attacking innocent white women and children for every reason from a juicy rumor to justifying a genocide. Those red people probably did include some homicidal maniacs who gave no fucks for gender or age-- they come in all colors-- but we get the point, don't we? Yes. Yes, we do. And it is always women and children, isn't it? Check out the original Birth of A Nation (white guy painted black attacks a white woman). You can also check out some current anti-Muslim forums for that kind of... well, the exact same thing, but I digress. The point here is not just a running theme. Some protesters become unruly and violent. They do not represent an entire people or movement, just as Klu Klux Klan rallies do not represent white me or any white you that I know. Really. Really, think about that one. If the point still escapes you, consider this: I took "Latin American History" in college. One thing that became obvious to me, especially considering U.S. and World history-- whenever darker-skinned people rise together, lighter-skinned people flip shit. What do they fear? Generally, retaliation.

I cringe when violence erupts at protests, not just for the obvious, but because that becomes the focus and ammunition against a movement of people who want those most in power to realize their lives matter, too, and act accordingly. I cringe when protesters block highways because I am afraid people will die (on foot or in cars).  However, there is something I know about my darker-skinned brothers and sisters. Generation after generation after generations, they have refused to be silenced by terror, beatings, hangings, burnings, dog attacks, fire hoses, handcuffs, and gun shots. They aren't in the streets for nothing. They aren't just making shit up, you think?

One last thing: Why doesn't "black-on-black crime" matter to Black Lives Matter? If you ask that question, I know you have never had any meaningful engagement with "a black community." I also wonder why you are still reading this, considering all the white-on-white, red-on-red crime out there. Grab your cape and get busy, Superdope.

Oh, come on, that's funny! (Learn how crime works, though. Seriously.)


No comments:

Post a Comment