12.13.2016

Real, Actual Politics Aside

Back when we were leading up to the election of Barack Obama, I thought I recognized a readiness of U.S. citizens for something entirely different, and Obama had the face and the charisma. Politics aside, as I still would have been impressed with us (somewhat) if he had been a hardcore Republican loyalist, I knew the idea of "change" was a big part of his following. I stayed up late the night of the election, and I don't mind admitting I got a little choked up when it was announced. We had done it-- not elected another democrat, but voted for change. I have a soft spot for underdogs, and... well, people who looked like me used to own people who looked like him. Go, you, man. Go, you! I was raised to believe in exactly this kind of country, and we did it. I was disappointed and frustrated with Obama sometimes; I was disgusted by the obstruction he faced. I couldn't think of a single job I would still have if I had steadfast refused to work with my boss-- and I am not talking about disagreements or whatever any person would use to completely oversimplify the point-- I'm talking about losing all decorum, turning my back and putting my fingers in my ears like some childish asshole.

Anyway, eight years later we went from decorum and diplomacy to... dumpster-diving for idiocy.

I'm still just all... Fuck... about that one.




I have friends and good friends who are political polar opposites from me. Generally, this is because I don't have a political litmus test for friends. I appreciate intelligence with thoughtfulness, empathy, humor, experience, and really, just good and honest people. I especially appreciate people who are exactly who they say they are. They stand in their truth. There are so many people out there who fit that description, in whole or in part, and also have a worldview very different from my own.

I explain that to say disagreements are not an issue for me. I don't need to surround myself with people who see things the way I do. In fact, I prefer not to do that. And I explain that because I have seen/heard too many people oversimplify real issues as an inability to handle disagreements. That's not been my experience. Disagreements I can handle; ideas and opinions coming from a place of proud ignorance and/or hate I cannot. I just don't have the patience anymore.

More than once, I have seen people get so caught up in their political views that they don't realize they are spitting venom toward people they know and respect, and more than once, I have spoken up about it: "If you are spitting the word "liberal" or "conservative" as if it is a slur..."

In my case, it is "liberal," and either you don't realize you are talking about me or your thoughts on me void any connection we have-- if I am weak, or stupid, or in whatever way responsible for the complete annihilation of  our way of life in your mind, we don't really need to be friends. At all.

This election season which led to President-elect Trump drained my patience for that. I still know, love, and appreciate good people who believe in Trump's economic ideas, for instance. However, tolerance and patience are stretched a bit thin when sexism, racism, and an actual disgust toward respectful communication are not deal-breakers. Trump offered what should have been deal-breakers throughout his campaign. But they weren't, and that was crushing. I feel like now, I know where to turn (and where not to) if I am in an unsafe situation. Trust is critical. That's all I can really say about that part.

I know, and people like me and unlike me know, this is a fucked up situation we are in now, and we saw it coming. We cannot give sexism and racism and absolute division a higher platform because it only gets stronger and more dangerous. Well we did, and it has. I've always been one to attempt to reach through it. "Come on, now," and maybe I still do from a distance. But in my personal space or inside the space where I honor those I love (those people most effected by the rise of hate), no. Just... no. Because this is where it brings us.


No comments:

Post a Comment